Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Layer Brownies




Hands down these are my favorite brownies!  My mother has made them for years and years.  Everytime I go home to visit she makes them for us.  

They are so easy to make and they use a...dare I say... cake mix.  I prefer to make my baked goods from scratch. I tried a few times to actually make them without using a boxed mix and  couldn't pull it off. Can't blame a girl for trying though.


Chocolate Caramel Layer Brownies


Let's Get Started:

1 (14 ounce) package of caramels, unwrapped
2/3 cup (5 ounce can) evaporated milk, divided
1 box of German chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup of chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)




Melt caramels in a heavy sauce pan or double boiler with 1/3 cup of evaporated milk, stirring constantly until melted. Set aside.

Grease and flour 9 x 13 pan.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine cake mix, melted butter, and remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk.  Stir until well combined. 

Press only half of the cake mix into prepared pan, covering the bottom. Bake for 6 minutes .

Sprinkle with chocolate chips.  Pour melted caramel over chocolate chips, add nuts if desired. 

Crumble remaining cake mixture in small pieces over the caramel layer.

Bake for 15-18 minutes.

Let brownies sit in the refrigerator for 30 to allow caramel layer to set (If you can wait that long).










7 comments:

  1. Love your website! I am going to start baking again after reading your recipes and seeing the photos! SCHNITZEL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...it would definitely be hard to wait for these to cool! They look delicious. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I've been making these for years myself. Aren't they wonderful!? So easy yet they don't taste it.... thanks for sharing these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brownies are one of my biggest vices! But, brownies with caramel? I would eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm caramel brownies, sounds like a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these brownies look good! your blog has some great recipes. Loved the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look SO good! Any form of chocolate and I'll try it. =)

    Thanks for following my blog! I really appreciate it--and I'm following you as well. I can't wait to see more recipes!

    Blessings,
    ~Carolyn
    www.cookinformycaptain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete