Friday, August 12, 2011

Buttermilk Pancakes with Bacon Maple Syrup



If you like to dip your bacon in pancake syrup then this is for you!  My children loved it!  Loved it so much one of them wanted to just eat..or drink...the syrup.  The origianl syrup recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of reserved bacon grease.  I couldn't bring myself to do that but feel free if it tickles your fancy!



Let's Get Started:

Bacon Maple Syrup

1 pound of bacon, cooked, crumbled
2 cups of pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons bacon grease or butter

Heat syrup in a small pan over medium-low until it just begins to boil. Add bacon and butter (or bacon grease) and simmer for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Let syrup and bacon "infuse" for at least 15 minutes to an hour. Re-heat if needed.





Buttermilk Pancakes


1 1/4 cups AP flour
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/4 buttermilk
1/4 white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, slightly beaten

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pinch of salt in a medium sized bowl. Add buttermilk, sugar, oil, and beaten egg. Mix until smooth. Everything can be combined in a blender just add the wet ingredients first.
Refrigerate for a several hours. as long as overnight for best results. Batter can be used immediately.
Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto a hot skillet. Flip pancakes when edges start to brown just a little.
Makes 8-10 pancakes
Easily doubled
I freeze any extra pancakes and re-heat in the microwave for about a minute when needed.




7 comments:

  1. WHo wouldn't love bacon maple syrup sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That syrup is to die for! Love these pancakes :) Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great combo! I could go for some pancakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit it; I'm one of those people who insist on a second plate at the restaurant so no syrup touches my bacon. In fact, I'm so bad that the last bite of the whole meal is a piece of bacon so that's the flavor that sticks with me. I hang my head. It does look delicious though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure my husband will love this dessert! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How yummy! Those pancakes look fantastic!
    Stoping by from the KY bloggers on facebook. I'm your newest follower :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. I have a friend who'd give her first born for this.

    ReplyDelete