Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Spicy Island Shrimp



Spicy Island Shrimp


This is one of my favorite shrimp dishes of all time.  I think it's similar to a shrimp creole recipe.  The original recipe I started with came from a Taste of Home recipe card but I've changed it so much over the years I don't think it's worth posting the original inspiration. I did however, keep the original name. My two older children love this dish too!  It's easy enough to tone down the hot spices for them also.  I like to add a little more cayenne for myself though!

Let's get started:

Spicy Island Shrimp

1 large green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined*
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
1/3 tablespoons chopped green onions**
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley**
2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of black pepper
3 teaspoons of paprika
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
3 teaspoons of oregano
2 teaspoons of thyme
1/2-1 teaspoon of white pepper***
1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper***
Cooked rice

In a large skillet saute the green pepper and onion in butter until tender.  Reduce heat and add shrimp.  Cook for about 5 minutes until shrimp are pink.


* I have used frozen cooked shrimp many times with this dish.  I usually run cold water over them until defrosted and then pat dry.  Instead of adding them once the bell peppers and onions are ready, you must add them during the last 5-7 minutes of cooking.

Stir in the tomato sauce, green onions, parsley and other seasonings. Then bring it to a slight boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.



**I have also used dried parsley and freezed dried chives instead of fresh several times.  If this is something that you might do just reduce the amount by a 1/3.

***If you are making this for children or someone who is not fond of spicy foods reduce the white pepper and cayenne pepper.

This is one of those sauces that you can play with a lot.  If you want more oregano...add it.  Or less garlic powder....reduce it.  In that 20 minutes of simmering taste it a couple of times and increase as desired.  Start on the low end at first to be on the safe side when you add the spices. I've added basil and rosemary a few times too!  I've also substituted red, yellow, and orange bell peppers for the green ones. That is what I love about this dish.  If I'm feeling a little spicy then I just add a dash more cayenne pepper.  If you want more sauce just add another can of tomato sauce and increase your spices.  This is why I love this dish!













9 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome - like something I'd love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm a big fan of your blog. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! I would love a plate of this. Must try this. Recipe a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comfort food-I rarely have cajun food since the roux is so hard to make. I have bookmarked this recipe because it has the cajun spice but does not take a lot of time in the kitchen to prepare. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all love this! And it's so easy to make it your own with the spices. If y'all try it, let me know what you think and I hope you like it! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! This would make a great lent recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good! That cajun sauce sounds so flavorful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! My husband would go crazy for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why this is a favourite dish. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete