Monday, July 25, 2011

Simple Baked Ziti



Simple Baked Ziti

I've been making this Ziti for several years.  I believe I got the recipe from allrecipes.com., which is a great site if you want a new one to check out.  This makes a lot so prepare for leftovers unless you are feeding a small army.  It's a great meal to freeze too!  Which is exactly what I did.  My husband is in Afganistan, and my children are spending some time with their grandmother for a couple weeks.  Home alone....the silence has been golden!  A couple of days ago I'm enjoying my quiet time on the couch watching daytime TV and get the itch to cook something.  There's no one here but me and Lord knows my thighs do not need a full pan of baked ziti.  I make it and freeze it....problem solved! 

Let's Get Started:

Simple Baked Ziti


1 pound dry ziti pasta
Salt
1 onion, chopped
                                                              1 pound lean ground beef
2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
1 1/2 cups sour cream
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (or more)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta and cook until al dente. Should take about 8-9 minutes. Drain pasta of water. Set pasta aside.

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and onion together until the beef is no longer pink and onions are tender and translucent. Drain grease then add spaghetti sauce and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Layer as follows into the casserole dish:

½ of the ziti noodles, ½ of the provolone cheese, ½ of the sour cream, ½ of the sauce mixture.



I used Breakstone's Roasted Garlic and Herb for the first time in this dish and thought it was perfect.


I used a four cheese spaghetti sauce but any kind will do.  You can also add extra spices like oregano, basil, or garlic.



Repeat and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Italian cheese blend works great too.
If you are going to freeze this do not bake, cover well and freeze at this point in the process.

If not,
Bake for 30-40 minutes




   Print Here

No comments:

Post a Comment