Friday, October 28, 2011

Beer Cheese Dip with Pretzel Bites





I made this for the World Series game last night. 

 Did anyone else stay up late to watch the two extra innings?

 I did not want to get out of bed this morning...at all!

My husband grew up near St. Louis and is an avid supporter of the Cardinals.  So, one way or another I'm watching my last baseball game of the year tonight! 

You see, I'm not a baseball fan. 

My heart belongs to football!


 
Even though I'm not into baseball I can get into some yummy snacks to munch on while Pujols does his thing.



 

Beer Cheese Dip

16 ounces American processed cheese (like Velveeta)-cut into pieces
8 ounces cream cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (12 ounces) bottle or can beer (I highly recommend a dark beer)
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Add American cheese pieces, cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, beer, hot sauce, paprika, and cayenne pepper to a slow cooker (crock pot).  Heat on low until cheeses are melted; stir occasionally.


The pretzel bites are the same recipe I used for my pretzel rolled hot dogs. But, I used water instead of beer this time.




Pretzel Bites

12 ounces of water
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons ground mustard
1-2 teaspoon cayanne pepper
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda


Heat the water in a saucepan (or microwave) over low heat until it reaches 110 degrees F.
Combine the warm water, sugar, and 2 teaspoons kosher salt in a bowl.
Sprinkle the yeast on top, and let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam.

In a large bowl add bread flour and melted butter.
Add water/yeast mixture to bread flour. Mix with a wooden spoon or use dough hook attachment with a mixer.

Once combined shape into a ball and place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).

Preheat an oven to 450 degrees.


Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or grease with vegetable oil.

Beat the egg yolk in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon water; set aside.

Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat, and stir in baking soda until dissolved.

Meanwhile, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured or oiled surface, and roll into a 10x20-inch rectangle.
 
Cut long horizontal lines about an inch wide.  Cut long vertical lines about an inch wide to make bite size pieces.

Drop several piecesat a time into the boiling baking soda water for about 20 seconds.  Don't worry, your pretzel bites won't taste like boiled dough.  This helps them achieve that dark golden brown color.

Reserve baking soda water.

Place boiled dough on cookie sheets at least 1/2 inch apart. If you're baking pans are thin you may want to double stack them so the bottom of the bites don't become too crispy.

Bake in preheated oven.

Brush pretzels with reserved baking soda water starting at about 7-8 minutes of cook time. Continue to brush each pretzel with baking soda water every 2 minutes until.
Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
 
 



13 comments:

  1. I don't watch baseball anymore (no time), but I would have for this dip. It looks amazing. The pretzel bits are the exclamation point. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say it once football starts I don't even care about baseball lol!!! I haven't watched a single world series game although I suppose I would have had the RedSox actually maintained and didn't fall apart lol. I would totally eat the pretzel bites with beer cheese dip for football though. :) Sounds prefect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I MUST make those pretzel bites! This looks perfect for sports-watching. Although I'm not a sports fan, even I am rooting for Cardinals since they're the underdog and I spent a year working in St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omgosh I am craving those preztel bits! They looks so fantastic. I have a little thing about pretzels and dip. I usually go for the good ol' yellow mustard. But I may have to kick the mustard to the curb if I saw your cheese dip. Mmmmm! What a great combo. Two thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on that one, although I couldn't really care less about football or baseball. My husband is a huge Rangers fan, so I'm kind of glad that he's not here to torture me by making me stay up late to watch all the games! If you're going to stay up, these are the perfect way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beer, cheese, and pretzels, I don't think it gets any better than this! Heck, I would watch golf and if it meant I got to eat this! :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't watch baseball. Dip and pretzel bites look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me neither ,but woukldnt mind crispy snack like this;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was up late but not for baseball. Feeling the pain today, getting too old for this. This dip is amazing and those bites are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, this is a good idea! My husband watches the European football so I think this is going to be a pleasant suprise for him...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried them before, while seem yummy, nice, maybe i can try it later according to your guide:D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My family is gonna love this anytime...great looking pretzel and dip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beer cheese is my all time favorite! What could be better than combining beer and cheese!! You are a good sport - I usually just go to bed :)

    ReplyDelete